Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Antique Iron Child Bed: Before and After

Hello! First off I would like to apologize for the blog being so quiet! I finally bounced back from the long Labor Day weekend and just being plain old busy. Last week my husband and I went to some yard sales, flea markets, and antique fairs! I bought so much stuff! One of my favorite finds was this antique iron child bed. I think it's from France after searching for similar ones on the Internet. I got it for only $3 dollars.. Score!

I think the bed would look so pretty in a little girls room.


I love the original green paint showing through..


I used milk paint with the bonding agent to get the flat soft finish. I used rough sand paper to rough up the previous finish to get a good bond. I wasn't sure how it was going to work out because I have never used milk paint on metal before. The crackle that happened all over is so pretty...




Here is the before..

I didn't really like the glossy, drippy, and ugly brown paint that covered the beautiful original green paint. Why would someone cover that up?! So I thought a light creamy finish would look so pretty. I'm so happy the milk paint took to the metal after roughing it up a bit.



Have a great Tuesday.

...

sharing at:

5 comments:

  1. Wow, it really came out beautiful! What a lovely transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty and vintage-ey! Great job!!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it - what a great piece of furniture -
    Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that was quite a score!! Turned out great! I just found you and am your newest follower :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.
    sleepy's labor day mattress sale

    ReplyDelete