I picked up another pair of cane back chairs last week. This set is VERY similar to the last set that I had sold. Here is the before... I found one arm chair, and one without arms..
I knew what I wanted to do with the paint finish. And thought I knew what fabric I wanted but I ended up changing my mind once I got to the fabric store! I had a dark grey linen in mind for the upholstery but found a chestnut brown velvet fabric on clearance with a extra 25% off coupon! Score! I love a good velvet fabric and when its on such a deep discount I couldn't pass it up.
I used a buttermilk color milk paint for the base coat. White washed over the base coat, and finished with clear and dark waxes.
I sanded and distressed the frames.
I was worried the dark velvet would be too much so I chose to use an ivory burlap for the chair backs. I'm not a huge fan of using burlap for upholstery because it sheds, usually smells, and is scratchy. But since the backs of the chairs wont get used I thought it was a good way to go. And I LOVE the way it turned out and breaks up the dark velvet.
I'm loving the creamy colored chair frames and rich upholstery. I think they would look so pretty in a breakfast nook...