Last week our new neighbors threw this French Provincial side table out to the curb. When I saw it I ran in the house, got the dogs, and took them for a walk to get a better look. Like a nice neighbor I waited until it was dark to sneak over and take it.. but it was REALLY heavy so my loving husband went over and got it. Do I sound crazy? I though I took a before picture of the table but I couldn't find one so I guess I forgot. It was painted a glossy black that was pretty banged up. It even had the drawers still full of socks..
I decided to paint it cream and strip the top and stain it but the top turned out to be heavy plastic. I thought it was odd since the rest of the table was wood. I started to paint the top but didn't like the look. So I thought for a little bit about what I wanted to do and remembered a picture I had seen on Pinterest. Antique sheet music! I had been collecting it for a while to make some wreaths as gifts and It sure came in handy for this project too.
I used a mixture of glue and water to apply the sheet music to the top of the table and decided to add it to the drawer fronts too. After the glue mixture dried I used a very sharp paring knife to trim the excess paper off the table top and drawers. I sealed the top with a good coat of light and dark wax.
I loved the way the original hardware matched the color scheme..
Pretty curvy legs...
Here is a glimpse of the top...
I had quickly snapped all the pictures above right before I took this table to the local antique market so this was a not blurry picture of the top I took a few days before..
I hardly had the side table out of the truck before someone scooped it up. It turned out so pretty and I'm happy I saved it from going into a landfill somewhere. I would say this little table had a very happy ending!